For New Year’s I will be serving an easy and tasty recipe I created that the kids really like. It’s also fresh and different for adults. It is a blend of trifle and tiramisu that uses a fresh, pure new blueberrry juice called Bloo instead of coffee. This juice is Canadian (which I like) and has no added sugar or preservatives (which I also like). I’ve tried other blueberry juices but often I find them bitter. This one isn’t. It’s really yummy. The recipe takes about 5-10 minutes to make and should be made in advance to let the flavours sit a little (keep in the fridge).
- Store bought tiramisu lady finger biscuits
- bloo juice (about 1/4 – 1/2 cup)
- You can add a few tablespoons of your favourite tipple here too, brandy, a flavoured liquor, probably many thing would taste nice.
- 1 can of custard (My family favourite is the PC one). If you have time, use your favourite custard recipe to make your own from scratch.
- Whipped cream, about 1/4-1/3 cup before whipping (add a few tsp of sugar for taste) OR buy the real stuff in the can ready to go.
Choose your serving dishes. Either one large or individual portions. Soak the biscuits in bloo juice (and booze) until saturated but not falling apart. Line the bottom of your dish(es).
Add a thin layer of custard – about 1-2 cm deep.
Then more custard, then, finish with the whipped cream.
If you like, grate some chocolate on top to make it pretty! Make up to the night before. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
TIPS FOR LEFTOVERS: With one can of custard, you will have biscuits, cream and bloo juice left over. Consider adding a little garnish of cream into curry or chili. This is nice for kids especially. It makes the dinner creamy, helps it cool faster and takes some of the “heat” away from the spice. With the rest, whip it up and add to hot chocolate, or flavoured coffee. Quickly dip in the extra biscuits but be careful because they break easily! With the bloo, well, just drink it or add it into a smoothie. Bloojuice on FB has some recipes too. This is one I adapted!
Makes about 5-6 servings. Enjoy and Happy New Year!